Tools for Systematic Training
There are myriad choices when it comes to training technology, and Garmin has consistently provided quality training devices to accurately monitor and record your training. At Alp Fitness, we recommend any of the Garmin training devices in the Forerunner series for runners/cyclists and triathletes.
Runners/cyclists have several models to choose from, ranging from the Forerunner 405 through the Forerunner 910XT. Triathletes should consider one of the fully water resistant devices—namely, the Forerunner 310XT or Forerunner 910XT.
In addition, there are two accessories that are important to include:
- For runners, the Foot Pod accessory quickly and easily attaches to your shoelaces to measure cadence (as well as speed/distance when running indoors on a treadmill).
- For cyclists, the Speed/Cadence Bike Sensor attaches to your bike’s chainstay to record cadence (as well as speed/distance when cycling indoors on a trainer).
With your Garmin Forerunner device, heart rate strap, and cadence sensors, you are ready to monitor and record key features of your training—including heart rate, distance, time, speed/pace, and cadence.
Once you are finished with your workout, it only takes a minute to upload all of the training data to your Training Peaks training log, which allows you or your coach to track your progress and fine-tune your training.
Key elements to look for in a training device:
- GPS enabled
- Heart rate monitor
- Battery life that exceeds longest workouts/races
- Water resistant to 50 meters (for triathletes)
- Cadence sensor accessories (Foot Pod for running; Speed/Cadence Bike Sensor for cycling)
Learn more about:
- How to monitor running cadence with the foot pod accessory
- How your coach uses the data from your training device
- How to upload data from your training device to Training Peaks
Recommended Garmin GPS/HR devices:
Recommended Garmin accessories: